Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon

Amazon Rainforest

Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon

24 Mar , 2015  

Do Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon located about 79 km from Puyo in the Rainforest Reserve, situated at the foothills of the Andes, in one of the world’s biodiversity hotspots. This project provides natural scientists (professional or amateur) with opportunities to study an incredible amount of interesting flora and fauna.
The community is connected to another 100,000 hectares of communally-owned forest. In this rich environment, there is an extremely diverse plant community, with everything from ferns to mahogany, palms, bromeliads and an overwhelming variety of orchids.

Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon

The fauna of this amazing area is just as varied! Some of the mammal species recently recorded in the forest include pumas, jaguars, peccaries, howler monkeys, saki monkeys, tamarind monkeys, deer, ocelots, sloth’s and anteaters. The forest is a birdwatcher’s paradise, where you can observe toucans, parrots, parakeets, tanagers, woodpeckers, eagles, hummingbirds and a vast array of other beautiful and rare birds.
This project Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon Rainforest has been created to foster the development of the indigenous community through the sustainable use of biological resources and cultural norms. The volunteers will work within a small traditional community. The income from tourism and the support from volunteers have turned this project into a small success story. The project has helped save 3,500 hectares (7,000 acres) of rainforest, of which 95% is primary forest, preserving everything from parrots and anacondas, to jaguars, orchids, and mahogany. The other 5% is used by the community for houses, school, agriculture and a football and volleyball field. Furthermore, the project has helped eliminate intrusive cattle grazing. The cattle are long gone, and the villagers are reforesting the area with valuable endangered timber and fruit trees.
The program has also strengthened the culture and traditional knowledge of the Kichwa indigenous community by revitalizing disappearing skills and ancient wisdom.
This volunteer opportunity is for people who want to actively engage in the Amazon community and to help the local people increase ecotourism activities. Living within one of the indigenous communities of the Rainforest, volunteers will meet and share experiences with the local Kichwa community, who are among best organized indigenous people in the Amazon basin. Volunteers will participate in traditional farming activities such as the growing and harvesting of plantain, bananas, yucca, sweet potato, maize, pineapple, and chili. Volunteers will improve the nutritional value of the local diet by establishing a community orchard and vegetable garden, and by collecting traditional jungle food (herbs, fruits, larvae, etc). Volunteers can pursue optional activities within the local community, such as sports, development of craft skills and social events.
Within the Forest Reserve, volunteers will improve and maintain the trail system, by constructing new trails and re-marking existing trails. Volunteers can participate in forest walks, learning about plants, wildlife, and birds, and collecting plants for the medicinal garden and the forest nursery.

Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon

Volunteer Work Kichwa Community Amazon

Accommodation: Volunteers stay with a host family in the indigenous community.

Time volunteering: 2 weeks minimum and maximum 12 weeks.

Cost: US$145 per week.

The cost includes: Pick up airport, three meals per day and accommodation in the community.
First free night (bed & breakfast) with a host family in Quito, transfer from host family to the bus station in Quito (next day of your arrival).


Comments are closed.